Sunday, March 11, 2007

Load Shedding

I have been reading articles about the power shortage problem in Maharashtra for sometime now. Never actually gave it a second thought earlier. But I actually had a taste of what a pain load shedding can be earlier this week. Then I did a bit of digging and found out that New Bombay suffers from power cuts for almost 5 hours everyday. Can you believe that? New Bombay, which is supposed to be the answer to Mumbai's congestion. The New Bombay that is being projected as the city of the 21st century. The New Bombay that is a part of what the STPI has termed Maharashtra Knowledge Corridor. A knowledge that is totally dependent on India's software leadership. Where would this knowledge be if there is no power to run those computers upon which the development of that knowledge largely rests?

And to think that when I lambasted the government in my last blog, quite a few of my friends told me to stop being so cynical. Now just tell me, is it cynical if I crib about 5 hour power cuts in an era where half your life revolves around equipments that function only if there is power. Right from shaving to washing your clothes to even preparing that toast sandwich in the morning -- your basic daily routine goes for a toss. And imagine starting your day on such a great note. And people tell you to accept this reality and cool down.

That particular day prior I decided to stay back with my folks instead of coming back to town on Sunday evening like I usually do. Well did I repent! I woke up early in the morning for a change -- and began my day by banging into the door cos it was too dark to see it was there and then taking a bath in that bloody cold water cos the geyser was useless, then I nicked myself shaving cos I couldn't see my own face and the razor was a new one I was not familiar with -- all because the stupid power guys had to cut power right at the moment when most office going folks like me are getting ready to leave home.

Well, the previous day I was reading a sort of survey Mumbai Mirror had done on whether the common man can save energy and help the government. Most said Yes. How? By cutting down on TV viewing time, stop listening to music, washing clothes twice a week instead of thrice a week, not using the AC, not using the fans and lights whenever possible, not using the vacuum cleaner, sleeping together or working in the same room and so on and so forth.

Now what I would like to know is how much energy will this actually save? Most office going folks reach home post 7:00 PM. I know we would all like to reach home that early but just for the heck of it lets assume we live in a utopian world as far as work is concerned. Now how much time will this guy actually spend watching TV? A couple of hours at the most. If there is a cricket match then probably longer. But that's a seasonal thing anyways. Isn't a guy entitled to that much entertainment? And why do we have vacuum cleaners, and microwave ovens and washing machines? To ease our burden a bit. If I have to stop using all those devices then what's the point in slogging so much to buy those very things? What's the point in saying we live in progressive world--a world where technology eases our lifestyle?

Now a reply I got for that was use your hands it's good exercise. I bloody don't need that exercise. Other than wasting my time and ruining my back probably it doesn't serve much in the way of keeping me fit and healthy. If that was the case then most of the Bai's there would have had perfect figures and lived real long healthy lives. But that is hardly the case. I would rather go for a jog or trek or swim for exercise. Now if were short on fuel then would I have to walk from Dombivili or Virar or Panvel or wherever to reach town for work.

And why is it that while the rest of the world is suffering the government offices and the railway offices and MSEBs own offices still enjoy the benefits of zero downtime. MSEB should set an example by cutting power to their own offices and housing colonies. But no, the complex next to my folks place is occupied by railway employees and other such characters and till date I have never seen them groping in the dark due to a power cut.

Is it our fault that the government has not taken any measures to ensure that the growth in population and power requirements were matched by a simultaneous growth in power production? A state that had surplus power even a couple of years back is suddenly facing tremendous shortage in power. How is that possible? The growth in Maharashtra has not been so great that the surplus got wiped out in such a short time. And as for the poor farmers who are supposed to benefit from the governments largesse I wonder how many of them actually do! Whenever I have been to any of part of rural Maharashtra I have noticed that most houses in the village do not have power connectivity. And those that do have connectivity are no better off cos they have power cuts. So who benefits? The guys who own most of the land. Some rich bugger somewhere in Mumbai or Pune or Nasik. At least that's the response I get when I ask these guys "Yeh Kiska Zameen Hai?"

Instead of trying to come up with projects that will generate more power here we have a government that wants us to cut down on energy consumption or be taken to task. On what basis will they decide who will use how much power I am waiting to know? If my not using my electronic equipments in the short term would solve the problem in the long term then I am game. But this problem is only likely to escalate. And what we need is more power plants and not citizens who are willing to forgo their comforts. You try to wake them up to the fact they say you are not patriotic. What the bloody hell has patriotism got to do with this? I am not willing to give up my comforts for good. The good of the nation and my fellow citizens and patriotism and all such jingoism be damned.

No comments: