Sunday, March 11, 2007

In God's Own Country

I visited my native land after almost nine long years. It was the first real holiday in more than six years. Now my friends might argue that I am always taking off somewhere or the other on short trips every other month. Well, yes. But those trips are generally more tiring than office work. I have never considered trekking a relaxing exercise. Well it does de-stress you but it also tires you out like crazy, and the aches and the pains after a really strenuous one can put many first timers off trekking for good.

Holiday for me is spending time sleeping, eating or just sitting and whiling away your time. It may sound boring. But my whole being craves for that kind of boredom. Just sit there and think about nothing in particular. Daydream all you want. Imagine yourself in paradise. To me this kind of boredom means that I am at peace with myself and the world.

No phone calls, no computers, no Net connection, none of the regular people you hang around with, no worries about office and other bull shit, complete absence of the paraphernalia of daily life.

Well, this holiday was all that and more. Couldn’t avoid taking my cell –phone though. It’s a bad addiction. Every time it rings u get irritated. But switch it off for a minute and u feel a part of u is gone. Ironically, the people whose call you would like to attend never seem to be able to get through while all the credit card guys and loan sharks never seem to have an issue in reaching u.
Well, the best part was the famous Kerala boat race—the only outing I went for. I was forced to by some cousins. But then I think it was worthwhile. The excitement at the venue is almost palpable. And our boat winning the race more than made up for all the hassles borne in reaching there.

Now I am so relaxed that I don’t feel like working again. People told me I would be dying to get back to work once I took a break. Wrong. I think I want to spend the rest of my life in like manner—eating, drinking, sleeping, swimming, reading, taking and repeating the same processes all over again. Other activities could be boating, biking, a lil bit of farming or gardening if you want to call it that, fishing, frying those fishes, eating those fried fishes ahhhhhhh, climbing trees, trekking, and so much more. Ah! This is life as it should be.

No comments: